My Italian is terrible, but I can appreciate the poetry in "delusione" as one of the Italian words for disappointment.
Two old Italian bottles this week, at a dinner at Rubicon:
- 1961 Pira Barolo
- 1979 Produttori del Barbaresco.
The first, oxidised. The second, cork tainted. But the bottles themselves, beautiful glass and design.
The dinner also redeemed by other excellent wines:
- Krug 1995
- Maximin Grunhauser M-S-R Abstberg Auslese Riesling (Fuder 45) 1994
- Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling Vendange Tardive 1989
- Jean-Jacques Confuron Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Beaux-Monts 1996
- Ch. Leoville-Las-Cases 1985
- Ch. Coutet Cuvee Madame 1986
- Taylors Vintage Port 1970.
Raviolo of confit rabbit with braised mushrooms an outstanding match with the Confuron red burgundy. Using powdered porcini as flavour and a buckwheat-like texture in the pasta for the raviolo was something new and good to me.
Many thanks to David Lole for providing the wines.